Our School App Stay connected on the go...
As a result of the Ofsted inspection that took place on 13-14th February, Ofsted judged Hornsey to be a securely Good school with Outstanding Leadership and Management.
We have much to celebrate from Ofsted’s findings including:
- 92% parents would recommend Hornsey School for Girls to other parents
Ofsted judges schools on achievement, the quality of teaching, behaviour and safety and leadership and management. On those key areas Ofsted said,
Achievement - Good:
- students’ progress in their best five GCSEs including English and mathematics was outstanding
- Students made outstanding progress in modern foreign languages in 2011 and 2012 and improved their progress in English and humanities to outstanding in 2012.
- The proportion of students exceeding national expectations of progress is high in English
Teaching - Good:
- Parents and students are very pleased with the quality of teaching, which results in their children making good progress in their learning.
- Teaching is usually good or better because teachers plan well, building on progress data they hold for each class and using a wide range of interesting approaches to engage and motivate students.
Behaviour and Safety - Good:
- The usually outstanding or good behaviour seen in lessons results from a common understanding of what is and is not acceptable conduct. Students remark that there have been major improvements in behaviour over recent years.
- Students know that their conduct in lessons impacts on their achievements and most do not accept any form of disruption to their learning. Lessons are characterised by hardworking students keen to be as academically successful as they can be. Punctuality to lessons is good, helped by the double lessons taught in several subjects which reduce student movement time.
Leadership and Management – Outstanding:
- The vision of excellence driven by the Headteacher, and fully supported by her senior team, has been taken up enthusiastically by middle leaders and teachers. This has resulted in the substantial progress made over time in students’ attainment, progress, attitudes and behaviour.
- The development of students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural awareness is at the heart of the school, promoted through an extensive range of extra-curricular activities, particularly in the performing arts, through local community activities and within lessons
- Procedures for safeguarding students’ welfare are excellent. Staff know child protection systems extremely well and apply them.
- Governance is outstanding.
As you know we continually strive for even greater success for our students so we will now begin to plan to be outstanding in all categories.
Ofsted Report 2013 08/03/2013 159 KB