We intend that our curriculum will offer all students opportunities to experience the awe and wonder of the natural and human world, take part in fieldwork in each year and expand their cultural capital visiting new places.
Geography Department Aims & Focus
In Geography we aim to enable students to:
- Develop an interest in, and gain an appreciation of, the world around us.
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of the place they live in and the people in it, and of other people and places. (‘place’ is studied in a variety of scales from local to global)
- Understand how places and the people living in them interrelate and interconnect.
- Understand the physical environment, and the ways in which people interact with their environment; and the causes and consequences of change for people and environment.
- Develop an awareness of the world and its people and to have an ability to take positive action, both locally and globally.
- Develop the skills needed to carry out Geographical study, in particular map skills, fieldwork, geographical enquiry, literacy and numeracy skills.
- To appreciate their role and responsibilities as citizens within the local, national, European, and global community.
Resources & Facilities
Geography lessons are taught in three specialist Geography classrooms with interactive whiteboards. All classrooms have two or three computers for use by students. We also have a suite of computers for sole use by the Geography and History departments. Students have access to a wide range of textbooks and resources including fieldwork equipment.
Teachers in the department teach from schemes of work which meet the demands of the National Curriculum and examination specifications.